TopTenz Author: Ryan Thomas
- Ryan is very critical of what he is exposed to and listens to; he appreciates art intentfully. Ryan is often displeased with the current state of the mainstream music industry and finds solace most often in indie rock or else in the offerings of better decades. He is also not ashamed to express his affinity for disco (i.e. dance rock consisting of actual instruments, not what Lady Gaga will have you believe it as).
- Ryan prefers analog to digital any day of the week and firmly insists that vinyl is the best way to truly and qualitatively experience music, aside from going to a concert.
- Ryan is obsessed with music and loves discovering new, appealing sounds. As a guitarist and (at the moment) “bedroom songwriter”, he tends to lean towards propulsive, string-oriented rock music. Favorite bands and major influences include the Strokes, the Cure, the Smiths, Radiohead, the White Stripes, Phoenix, Mando Diao, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, The Futureheads, Kings of Leon, The Killers, Cold War Kids, R.E.M., The Clash, Blondie, Arcade Fire, U2, David Bowie, and many more. Ryan wants more than anything to form a band.
- Ryan is a twenty-something and currently resides in Abington, MA, in a quaint studio apartment.
- Ryan writes out of passion and intends to make a living out of it. He is a hired contributor for the Dedham Patch, an online-based newspaper. He is interested in freelance writing and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Enjoying nonlinear texts, some of his favorite writers are Chuck Klosterman, Hunter S. Thompson, William S. Burroughs, David Foster Wallace, William Faulkner, and Walter Kirn.
- He loves movies by the Cohen Brothers, Charlie Kaufman, Sam Mendes, Michael Gondry, Spike Jones, Tim Burton, David Lynch, Terry Gilliam, and Martin Scorsese.
- He likes ginger beer.
- He has a love/hate relationship with Rolling Stone, to which he is a subscriber, hating Rob Sheffield’s absent-minded taste in music, while loving the feature stories and reviews written by the handful of talented critics and journalists on staff.
- Ryan’s favorite list that he wrote is “Top Ten Over Rated Acts in Music Today,” while his favorite that he didn’t write is “Top 10 Most Loved Deformed Movie Characters.”
The Latest 10 Top 10 Lists by Ryan Thomas:
- Top 10 Reasons America Should Eat More Like Spain
- Top 10 Reasons The Grammys Are Bad For Music
- Top 10 Marvel Comic Book Artists
- Top 10 Awesome Examples Of Onomatopoeia In Music
- Top 10 Awesome Unofficial Holidays And Observances
- Top 10 Greatest Things Ricky Gervais Has Ever Done
- Top 10 Beautiful Break Up Songs
- Top 10 Pure Evil Fictional Characters
- Top 10 Facts About Millipedes
- Top 10 Awesome Accordion Songs
- Top 10 Modern Period Piece Films & Television Shows
- Top 10 Places Muppets Have Appeared
- Top 10 Songs About Youth
- Top 10 Prolific Fathers
- Top 10 Beautifully Flawed Albums
America is always in a hurry to kill itself. Just observe its eating habits, alienating social practices, and unrelenting facilitators of stress. This doesn’t exist anywhere else, at least not in such seam-bursting concentrations. Just look at Spain — not perfect, but better. It’s a culture that we should strive to be like in many […]
This year’s Grammys came and went without a bang, with most of the awards going to chart-toppers, money-makers, and dust-settlers, as per usual. Art and risk-taking is foreign to the Grammy voter. It doesn’t help that a large percentage of the public accepts the Grammys at face value, looking at them as qualified, gavel-toting evaluators of […]
It’s nice to see that some things stay the same; comic books are among the few art forms that have always maintained strict artistic integrity. Very rarely does the medium rely on digital technology, or anything more than a talented individual’s fine motor skills, and a clean sheet of paper to manifest the contents of their wildest […]
In literature, “onomatopoeia” is a word that’s employed to mimic any audible sound not pertaining to any spoken language. Examples include buzz, crack, pop, whoosh, etc. Inserting these “meaningless” words into a piece of prose, however, does have the effect of capturing a more-convincing snapshot of reality. But this doesn’t just work on paper; it […]
Who gets to decide the occasions we should celebrate? We all know Christmas, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, and even Columbus Day, and we know what such holidays entail (alcohol, food (sandwich day?), no work/school/mail). But why can’t we select, customize, and personalize days of the year based on we truly feel warrant an annual commemoration? Well believe it […]
Ricky Gervais is a bit like a vampire, and not just because he has fangs. He also maintains an air of privacy about his personal life, while also seeming to be everywhere at once. Also, he loves to watch people bleed, with his sadistic sense of humor. Whether he’s taking bites out of fair-skinned Hollywood […]
Break-ups hurt. A lot. And any surgeon will tell you that any amputation requires a great deal of analgesia to numb the pain in the aftermath. Such is the case in the separation of two conjoined lovers, who suddenly wish to no longer meet at the hip. Rather than indulge in booze and pills and […]
Evil can come in all forms: man, woman, child, adult, real, perceived, clown, doctor…you get it. There is much evidence on this earth to back up its existence, and has been throughout history, but some of the best depictions of evil have appeared as fiction–which is much better than having it in actuality. Some inspired […]
As humans, we take a lot of pride in how much we’ve accomplished in such a short period of time. We continually pat ourselves on the back for our achievements, and overall greatness as human beings. But there comes a point where we need to realize that we aren’t the Alpha and the Omega, and […]
When you’ve gotten to a point, as a songwriter, where you feel like you heard or played it all, there comes a necessary need for change. Whatever that might be; for some, that change may come in the form of an extended African holiday, a new pill combination (not advisable), or simply picking up an […]
When you think of the term “period piece,” what usually comes to mind is Jane Austen, powdered wigs, and petticoats. Many films depict these distant eras with a beloved sort of detachment– these eras only remembered otherwise in written documents and various memoirs. But what of the eras that many, to this day, can recall […]
Jim Henson was an undeniable wizard, who left a sheer magical legacy in his wake. He always had children in mind, probably because he never resigned his childish sense of wonderment. He brought out the child in us all and sought, more than anything, to ensure children never completely grew up. Without Henson, the world […]
The one thing we all undergo at some point or another is a childhood. And after that, every belt-notch year leading up to a fully-realized adulthood. As an adult, we often think of nothing but our youth; what we did right or wrong, or might have done differently. In youth, we didn’t cherish time as […]
Sex serves two distinct purposes: pleasure and procreation. But there’s a third, less popular (at least depending on your religion) purpose: to break world records. While it may be nice to one day bounce a little baby on your knee and watch it grow into a responsible man or woman, it’s probably less nice to […]
An album is usually considered to be an artist’s beautiful baby; but sometimes it can also be their ugly stepchild. Deformity, after all, is a part of nature, and the contrast only helps to accentuate the instances of unabashed beauty. Here are 10 artists who vied for some ugliness to really make their albums shine: 10. […]