TopTenz Author: Tanya
Top 10 Things to Know About Tanya Bennett
- She met Lou Reed and Woody Allen during the same visit to New York City.
- She collects pulp fiction and loves detective novels, particularly anything by James Cain, Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, and Josephine Tey.
- She plays bass and sings in a band.
- Her favorite top ten list so far:
Top 10 Reasons Why Ex-Party Girls Make Great Mommies
- Her favorite top ten list by another writer is:
Top 10 Worst Named Cities
- Major influences: Kim Deal, Kim Gordon, Peter Hook, Lucille Ball, Raymond Chandler, Carol Burnett, Gilda Radner, Jim Henson.
- Her two daughters are named after cartoon characters - and live up to their namesakes!
- She’s a fan of film noir flicks.
- Her guilty pleasures are Gossip Girl and pretty much any food item sold from a trailer at a street fair, rodeo or amusement park.
- She has a huge crush on Dean Wareham and Slash.
The Latest 10 Top 10 Lists by Tanya:
- Top 10 Thermic Vegetables
- Top 10 Simple New Years Resolutions
- Top 10 Superstitions For The Weekend
- Top 10 Ways to Donate to Charities Without Spending Any Money
- Top 10 Writers Published in Playboy
- Why People Hate Top 10 Lists
- Top 10 Hot Christmas Toys of All Time
- Top 10 Trashiest Christmas Gifts for Him
- Top 10 Funny Zombie Movie Moments
- 10 Things to Try for 30 Days
- Top 10 Canadian Characters on U.S. TV Shows
- Top 10 Facts About Nymphomaniacs
- Top 10 German Words
- Top 10 Worst Olympic Mascots
- Top 10 TV Detectives
Thermic vegetables, also known as free or negative calorie vegetables, burn more calories than they contain: “Your body requires on average 150-250 calories to digest your food, depending on your weight, gender and activity level. If you eat something that has a caloric content of 100 calories, you will actually burn more calories than you […]
I hate to be a New Years Eve party pooper, but I thought you should know that approximately half of you will make New Years resolutions today, but only 8% of you will successfully achieve them (statisticbrain.com). In the interest of turning these dismal results around, I’ve come up with some alternative resolutions for you […]
If you work 9 to 5 from Monday to Friday, chances are you eagerly look forward to the weekend. Yet, superstitions from all over the world paint a very different picture. Instead of getting excited as the week days pass by, you should be afraid… very, very afraid. Or at least careful. Some of these […]
Natural disasters, disease, war, accidents, domestic violence, addiction, homelessness, animal abuse, the list goes on… We are all affected by the tragic stories that stream into our homes daily via television and the Internet and it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. (Walt Disney) According […]
Playboy magazine launched in 1953, reaching its largest circulation in 1972 when it was distributed to 7.2 million readers. Today, it has over 1.5 million readers and over 5 million people visit playboy.com each month. Owner Hugh Hefner has described Playboy magazine as a “handbook for the urban male.” Each issue contains articles on politics and culture, […]
It looks like the first televised top ten lists appeared on The Dick Clark Show in 1958. Every Saturday night, Dick Clark would feature a list of the top ten records of the week. More than 30 years later, David Letterman aired his first top ten list on Late Night (September 18, 1985: “Top 10 […]
This list encompasses the top 10 hot Christmas toys of all time. When I say ‘hot,’ I mean the ones flying off the shelves, that every kid just HAS to have, the kind of toy that brings out the best in everyone. Kids (and some adults) spend their time feverishly begging and pleading for the […]
I used to have one of the items on this list painted on my bass guitar case – a gift from an ex-boyfriend. I confess this to prevent readers from getting their cartoon boxers in a knot as they try to justify how classy they really are. 10. Trucker Style Accessories First let me point […]
The first zombie movie was 1932’s White Zombie. It’s not very funny (at least not intentionally funny) and it definitely isn’t scary. Since then, there have been hundreds of zombie movies made, and I think the best ones are a combination of both. Some use funny moments to relieve the tension between zombie attacks; others use […]
You’ve probably heard that it takes 21 days to change a habit, right? Well, apparently there isn’t any hard evidence that this is a fact. According to Jeremy Dean over at PsyBlog, the “21 day myth may well come from a book published in 1960 by [Dr Maxwell Maltz] a plastic surgeon.” According to Dean, […]
Okay, first of all… Happy Canada Day! Yes, July 1st is Canada Day and, whether you are Canadian or not, it’s a great excuse to crack an ice-cold brew and head outside. All over Canada there will be backyard get-togethers, camping trips, and outdoor concerts and almost all of them will have a few key […]
This list is dedicated to all of the flabbergasted readers of my previous list, “Top 10 Things Better Than Sex.” If you can’t think of one thing that is better than sex, then I hope will enjoy this list about nymphomaniacs. “Some things are better than sex, and some are worse, but there’s nothing exactly […]
Both my parents were born in Germany. They moved to Canada and then had me, so I’m about as German as a Canadian can be – which probably explains my weakness for sauerkraut, oom-pa-pa, and marzipan. I also have a love for the German language. Some people make fun of it, but I grew up […]
This list was first published in 2008. Seems a good time to revisit it. A good Mascot is a symbol of the spirit of the Olympics in general; while, at the same time, teaching the world something about the country where the event is taking place. I also feel that mascots should exude a positive […]
Shamus, sleuth, gumshoe, P.I., private eye, private dick… We have so many names for detectives and so many great characters in literature, movies, television, and radio. Anne Iredale’s Top 10 Literary Detectives inspired this list. It made me think of all of the great TV detectives. According to the Museum of Broadcast Communications, the earliest […]