Top 10 Foods You Aren’t Eating, But Should
- Cabbage: Loaded with nutrients like sulforaphane, a chemical said to boost cancer-fighting enzymes.
- Swiss chard: A leafy green vegetable packed with carotenoids that protect aging eyes.
- Cinnamon: May help control blood sugar and cholesterol.
- Pomegranate juice: Appears to lower blood pressure and loaded with antioxidants.
- Dried plums: Okay, so they are really prunes, but they are packed with antioxidants.
- Pumpkin seeds: The most nutritious part of the pumpkin and packed with magnesium; high levels of the mineral are associated with lower risk for early death.
- Sardines: Dr. Bowden calls them “health food in a can.’’ They are high in omega-3’s, contain virtually no mercury and are loaded with calcium. They also contain iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper and manganese as well as a full complement of B vitamins.
- Turmeric: The “superstar of spices,’’ it may have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
- Frozen blueberries: Even though freezing can degrade some of the nutrients in fruits and vegetables, frozen blueberries are available year-round and don’t spoil; associated with better memory in animal studies.
- Canned pumpkin: A low-calorie vegetable that is high in fiber and immune-stimulating vitamin A; fills you up on very few calories.
Source: NY Times Blog